Arab League supports Turkey's bid for temporary UN seat

Turkish Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul said late Sunday that the Arab League has decided to support Turkey's bid for a non-permanent seat on the UN Security Council.

Gul, speaking to reporters at Ankara's Esenboga Airport upon returning from Cairo, underlined the importance of the Arab League meeting, adding that the Iraq and Palestinian problems were discussed at the meeting.

He said that the Middle East was passing through a very critical period and that all parties should produce a joint solution to the region's problems.

"I also emphasized that the all the parties should assume an attitude of compromise," Gul said.

"I stated that Turkey feels sorrow over the current situation in Iraq and that we should all assist them," Gul said. "I shared my views with my counterparts about what we should do for this. I underlined that a compromising attitude was needed in order not to meet another problem regarding Kirkuk," an oil-rich city in northern Iraq.

Underlining that all the participants attach importance to Iraq's territorial integrity and the preservation of its political unity, Gul said the meetings aimed at assisting Iraq.

The New Anatolian, More....

Comments